My final gear dilemma is Bivy Sack or Tarp Tent. If I choose Bivy Sack - then I'll go for some long days and nights, and that means RACE. If I go with the Tarp Tent (and thus a sleeping bag) then I've committed to a nice long vacation while TOURING the Colorado Trail.
In the end, Race or Tour, it doesn't matter. For me, it's all about the 500+ mile cruise on my bike.
So, I'm fully prepared, mentally. But physically prepared? Not even close. But who cares. Suffering is Suffering. Pain is Pain. It doesn't matter. It's all in the head. At least for us dudes that roll at the Back of the Pack.
The Colorado Trail - The Bike Route:
For complete information (or semi complete) check my other website / blog:
SingleSpeeding on the Colorado Trail
The Link. Dude. Dudette. But check below for the killer Trackleaders info.
The map and relevant race resources. I'm a yellow marker - probably the JR yellow marker. If for some reason you don't see the JR marker - click on this Trackleaders link or find my name at the right and it will take you to a different page.
I rolling with a 32x20 setup. Last year I tried 32x20 during a few scouting rides. But lowered the ratio to 32x22 for the 500 journey (but bailed to the asphalt at Purgatory.) So, I now know that I'll be walking most climbs. Therefore I'll need to 'gear up' for the bypasses. That's the strategy, anyway.
just some gear and a sheep
- Don't try and contact me. My phone will be off AND I may just leave the communication device with Los Padrinos. This is a RACE! It ain't no social event.
- I'm rolling out with the minimal gear, maybe. But if I commit to TOUR mode, then I'll pick up more gear & supplies in Buena Vista. Yes, that's legal - if I buy it or pick it up at the Post Office. READ THE RULES.
- TRAIL MAGIC? I don't do TRAIL MAGIC... unless it's totally unexpected and unplanned. READ THE RULES.
- Whenever I cross the Colorado boarder, It's always 50/50 that I'll return to life as I know it. This time it's 50/50 that I'll take the final DIRT NAP.
- Madre... JUST JOKING! I hope.
with luck and determination I'll be on Segment 22 early next week
SEE YA WHEN I SEE YA!